Leongatha Medieval Society Forum Index LMS Website Leongatha Medieval Society

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is Arrow Spine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leongatha Medieval Society Forum Index -> Traditional Archery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: What is Arrow Spine Reply with quote

Another video explaining what Arrow Spine is

"Fortune Favors the Bold"

Last edited by Neil on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting, its unreal how these arrows bend. what a great topic for archers that make their own arrows. Because i make as close to period correct arrows as i can im finding that the real wood needed is just to hard to get so for armour arrows that get trashed after a few shots i find myself at the local hardware store going for tassie oak dowel. I choose extra thick and streight lengths that are heavy and strong. once it goes through the jig and is sanded i test it with my hands. If it bends to much i dont use it. Then its coated in a wood glue that soaks into the wood. after drying its hard, very hard. All up because of how cheap tassie oak is here in oz it works out about $2 a shaft. I never use weak or light safts, all my armour peircing shafts are heavy ( over 70grms without head and flethcing ) and layered in my wood glue (star bond from the USA) all are 1/2 inch and tappered to 3/8. all have 2 inch horn inserts backed with Selleys Araldite A&B Epoxy Resin. After each arrow hits armour i look at it closely and test it with my hands. If im not sure i use it as kindling for the fire (after i take off the head and fletches). My 1/4 pounda arrows dont even bend when i try with my hands but fly the best out of my #90 and #110 pound yew bows. As many archers try to make their own arrows heaps of them will go to cheap dowel, Often its not real tassie oak, often its a scam and it takes a sharp eye to spot doodie dowel. I would never use "tassie oak dowel" for the very light arrows as the finished product is very thin (unlike my 1/2 shafts). In short if any LMS member wants to start putting their own arrows together then please feel free to pm me about my process. Often its better to buy safts bare from a real supplier that knows his/her trade. trying cheap dowel will backfire (2 inches from your face) if you dont understand the nature of wood vs the pressure from your bow. As my shed is now set up for the process of forming your own arrows all are welcome to come around and have a go. Shooting your own arrows is a great feeling and if you know how to make the right spines its very rewarding. Ive had two emails and a txt about dowel in the last week so dont buy cheap tassie oak dowel without some advive and help. happy shooting to all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leongatha Medieval Society Forum Index -> Traditional Archery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: