Leongatha Medieval Society Forum Index LMS Website Leongatha Medieval Society

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yew tree found!!! stop the press!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leongatha Medieval Society Forum Index -> Traditional Archery
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Yew tree found!!! stop the press!!! Reply with quote

I was painting with len last week at a nice house in town (leongatha) and low and behold in the back yard was a Yew Tree! Its not every day in leongatha that one stumbles upon a yew tree. Smile Surprised Laughing
[img][/img]
[img][/img]
How awesome is that, before i had a chance to realy go nuts, len informed me that it was Irish yew and of the ornimental type Confused Sad Embarassed this means "no good for bows". Its still a rare thing to see in these parts and although its not suited for bows you can see by the second photo why yew is gods gifts to archers. all the wood grows streight and up. This tree is approx 25 years old and looks fantastic.
Alex Jones

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it possible to buy yew saplings?
Tris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep but they arent cheap and it will take about 50 years to grow a limb long enough to use for a bow.
One reason Yew is so good for bows is because it is so dense the wood takes a very long time to grow and so thats why the north facing yew is best from the northern hemisphere because it gets less sun and so grows slower again.
Aaron

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saddest thing about Irish yew is that once you see one they seem to pop up all over the place. I have been lucky enough to find one that was worth harvesting and managed to get 2 bows out of the same tree but with very disappointing results.

I totally over built the 2nd bow and dimentionally its the biggest bow I own but sadly only came out at 90lbs:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=404689992928874&set=a.403881656343041.96590.100001636302783&type=1&theater

I do however enjoy collecting cuttings from yew trees I find, this photo was taken last year and they have really started to look much healthier now, but yes very slow growing:

Keep looking mate, they are out there but if its anything like over here, incredibly rare to find the un fastigiated variety.

Cheers

P.S They make a beautiful Xmas wreath for your front door this time of year!
Robert

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Aaron, as it turnes out i look all the time at almost every tree i see now. Yew is so rare down these parts that now its just Oak and elm im looking for and forget iron bark! way to hard to cut,split ect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Leongatha Medieval Society Forum Index -> Traditional Archery All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: